A communion service has several similarities to the Mass:
- both are liturgical celebrations
- both include the day's readings from Scripture
- both include the distribution of the Eucharist
But a communion service is NOT the same as a Mass:
- communion services are held when a priest is not available to celebrate the Mass (The service can be conducted - not "celebrated" - by a deacon or properly-trained laity.)
- communion services generally do not include homilies (though a deacon, if present, is permitted to do so.)
- communion services do not fulfill a Catholic's obligation for Holy Days and Sundays; only participation in the Mass addresses this obligation.
at St. Bartholomew are
Let us return
from that Table
breathing out fire,
terrifying to the devil!